Skip to main content

Gone {18}

June of 2009

When I opened my eyes, I saw Alex sleeping with his arm thrown over his face shielding his eyes from the light that was starting to come in the window. Behind me, on the nightstand, one of our phones was buzzing, probably getting ready to fall off the edge onto the floor.

For what felt like an eternity, I laid there staring at Alex. I already knew it was my phone. I already knew who was calling. And I already knew I had to answer.

Quickly before it went to voicemail, I rolled over and hit the green phone button.

"Hey dad," I laid back on the pillow.

Alex started stirring.

"Hey," My dad paused just a second and then, "He's gone."

Nodding at the ceiling, I forgot for a moment that dad couldn't see me.

Dad was silent for a moment. "Me, Dwight, and Momma were all with him when he went."

"Okay."

"You need to get out here."

"Okay."

As I let my phone fall to the bed, I was still staring at the ceiling but I could see Alex looking at me from the corner of my eye.

"Want me to call out of work today?"

I shook my head.

He pulled me into his arms, "You sure?"

I nodded.

There were no tears, but I was wondering how people do this. How do we lose people?

We'd known this was coming for the past few weeks. He'd gotten progressively weaker and couldn't eat anymore. And then about a week ago, he'd lost consciousness. But it wasn't like a coma, because he'd come back but he wasn't really there but in some other world, or in the past, and he continued to call out for dad to help him. My dad. Not his dad. And there was nothing dad could do but be there and say, "I'm here, daddy."

Hospice was taking care of him, so he was at home instead of a hospital.

And so, I'd been prepared for this, but at the same time not. The day before had been Father's Day. It was hard.

Then the men from the funeral home came to take my grandfather's body away. As they loaded him up and took him away, Nannie tried to keep a strong face but it was hard on her.

I'd tried to swallow a biscuit but kept getting choked when I tried to swallow.

When dad pulled me aside later that day, he seemed to be doing okay, but I knew that it was just a facade. "I need you to stay with your Nannie tonight. She says she's doing fine, but I need someone with her just in case."

I nodded my head.

And that night, with tears in her eyes, Nannie asked if I'd be okay sleeping in her and my grandfather's bed while she slept in the guest room.

"Sure, Nannie."

"Okay good," She half smiled at me. "I'm just not ready to sleep in there again just yet. PawPaw hasn't slept in our bed in months, you know he's been in that chair or the hospital bed, he just couldn't get comfortable. But it's still not the same without him, ya know?"

I nodded and tried not to cry.

That night, in my grandparents' bed I laid awake for hours staring at the dark ceiling. Finally sleep found me somewhere in the middle of the night. But in the morning, I had two pieces of my molars chipped off in my mouth from grinding me teeth so hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fifth {13}

Telling my mom Kim was pregnant turned out to be only half as dramatic as we thought it would be. The big fear my sister had was of telling our dad and stepmom Marcia. We kept our lips sealed and Kim assured us she would let us know when she finally decided to tell them. It was a Friday night and Alex and I had stopped at my dad and Marcia's house so I could change out of the scrubs I wore for school. We were both starving and in a hurry to go get dinner. The wooden steps bowed under my feet as I ran up the porch. After throwing the door open, I left it that way for Alex. Just as I was about to sprint down the hall, I was stopped by my dad who turned around in his chair at the kitchen table to give me the kind of look you never want to get from your dad, "Hey, come in here. We need to talk." As he walked through the door, Alex's eyebrows shot up as he heard my dad's choice of words. In my mind, I was going through every possible thing I could have done i

Not Ready Yet {16}

Late March of 2009 There was blood everywhere. We had passed the ambulance, going way over the speed limit like us, heading the opposite way down the road as we neared my grandparents driveway. As the ambulance disappeared, I was afraid that that might be it. That I might never see my PawPaw alive again. Now, staring at a puddle of his blood in the living room with towels laying discarded in a random piles soaked through with the vital fluid, I was sure this was the end. No one could lose this much blood and still be breathing. The shaking turned into full body tremors as I walked down the hall, streaked with more blood. I couldn't pull my eyes away from the crimson pools. Dad called me out of my trance as he ran into the house, hollering, "Get out here!" He jerked his thumb over his shoulder and was running back through the house to the door. Weaving through the house full of neighbors already starting to clean up the mess, I followed him out the door. As

Gooodbye to the Reflection

I feel it coming before it takes me over. Cursing myself, I begin a frantic search. My fingers push around the contents of my crowded purse. Keys. Cell phone. Lip gloss. Gum. Wallet. Receipts. And finally, I feel the cylinder object brush my hand. I snatch it from my bag. All I can hear in my ears, is my heartbeat, hammering away in my chest like punches from within. My breaths are coming in short gasps and stars begin to edge their way into my peripheral vision. I’m terrified. Gripping the edge of the table I’m leaning on, I just know I’m going to suffocate. My throat has already started closing up. I try to swallow, but I have no control. My hands are trembling as I pop the cap off the bottle and shake from it, a tiny green pill. I curse myself again. Weak. I tell myself. I’m weak. I throw my head back as I let the pill slide its way down my tongue, leaving a bitter trail behind it. Quickly, I chug down some lukewarm water. My breathing has not leveled out. I grab m