Skip to main content

New Fear Unlocked {23}

The way I saw it, Klonopin was saving my life. With it, I was able to get in my car and drive. I was able to go to work. I was able to actually leave my house and go out into the world without having a panic attack. By the fall of 2009, my life wasn't exactly back to like it had been before, but with the help of the Klonopin bottle rolling around in my purse, it was a pretty close immitation of the life I had.

Without the Klonopin, I was a hyperventilating sobbing wreck. I didn't know if I would need these pills for the rest of my life but it was starting to feel that way. I still did not understandwhat was causing my fear or physical symtoms. Or which came first, the physical symptoms causing the fear or the fear causing the physical symtoms. I half heartedly tried diet modifictions and restricting certain foods to find possible triggers, but outside of caffeine, I had given up trying to figure anything else out. I want to say that the reason I’d given up so quickly was because it felt overwhelming and I didn’t know where to start. But truthfully back then, I saw this problem of my anxiety as someone else’s problem to fix. That’s why I contintued to seek answers from my doctor. This was his problem, not mine.

But deep down, I must’ve known that I was the root cause of my anxiety thus I would have to find the solution within myself or go searching and find it for myself. But instead of focusing on finding a way out of my spiral, I fell further into the fear, cowering into myself, and developing even more phobias. Everyday felt like a new level in some horror video game had been unlocked. I felt at every bend in the road of my life, there should have been a neon sign above my head flashing New Fear Unlocked.

This was my fall season of 2009. Fears escalating but numbing myself to everything with Klonopin. During this time, Alex and I moved in together. We were too young, too inexperienced, too broke, but too in love to keep sneaking in and out of our parents houses like teenagers, and going to sleep at night without the other.

But my anxiety, these contant relentless panic attacks were in the way. In my desperation to free my mind from the vise of anxiety, and having been raised Southern Baptist, I'd become obsessively convinced that God was punishing me with this incurable anxiety because we were living in sin by living together outside of marriage.

Alex’s forehead had scrunched up as I told him this. He didn’t believe that God was a destructive master in the sky waiting eagerly to cast down punishments for those who broke the rules. In his formative years what he learned about God had not included hell, fire, brimstone, and damnation. This had caused a very passionate argument between Alex and me. On his side, God was forgiving. On my side, God was vengeful.

I told Alex the only solution was for us to get married. And for the first time in our 3 year relationship we were fighting all the time. It wasn't because Alex didn't want to get married, but because he wanted to do it "right." He wanted to finish school. He wanted a better job. He wanted steady income without having to worry if the bills would get paid at the end of the month. He had said he couldn't give me everything I wanted yet.

But I continued to argue with him. All I wanted was him and to not have this anxiety. And I couldn't let go of the paranoia that God was punishing me.

During our conversations, Alex started staring at me a lot. It's what he had always done when he was thinking and forming words. My words came out too quickly, as they still do. But Alex would think long and hard about his words before he committed to them. But now he had plenty in his mind that he wanted to say, but he wouldn't form the words and let them out. He just stared at me. He must've known I was too stubborn to hear his reasoning on many things at that time and decided not to waste is breath. But he did ask me to stop pushing him. Alex rarely asked anything of me. And yet, I could only see myself and my anxiety back then. In hindsight, I see Alex and the look on his face and wish I had stopped to realize what I was doing to him.

After one particularly ugly argument that left me in tears and Alex near them himself, he had relented.

Alex didn't marry me because it's what he wanted to do at the time. He married me because he loved me too much to bare to see me eat up with the fear of being punished by God for loving him.

Comments

  1. I'm thankful for the positive impact your blog has on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for the clarity and practicality of the advice you provide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fifth {13}

Telling my mom Kim was pregnant turned out to be only half as dramatic as we thought it would be. The big fear my sister had was of telling our dad and stepmom Marcia. We kept our lips sealed and Kim assured us she would let us know when she finally decided to tell them. It was a Friday night and Alex and I had stopped at my dad and Marcia's house so I could change out of the scrubs I wore for school. We were both starving and in a hurry to go get dinner. The wooden steps bowed under my feet as I ran up the porch. After throwing the door open, I left it that way for Alex. Just as I was about to sprint down the hall, I was stopped by my dad who turned around in his chair at the kitchen table to give me the kind of look you never want to get from your dad, "Hey, come in here. We need to talk." As he walked through the door, Alex's eyebrows shot up as he heard my dad's choice of words. In my mind, I was going through every possible thing I could have done i

Not Ready Yet {16}

Late March of 2009 There was blood everywhere. We had passed the ambulance, going way over the speed limit like us, heading the opposite way down the road as we neared my grandparents driveway. As the ambulance disappeared, I was afraid that that might be it. That I might never see my PawPaw alive again. Now, staring at a puddle of his blood in the living room with towels laying discarded in a random piles soaked through with the vital fluid, I was sure this was the end. No one could lose this much blood and still be breathing. The shaking turned into full body tremors as I walked down the hall, streaked with more blood. I couldn't pull my eyes away from the crimson pools. Dad called me out of my trance as he ran into the house, hollering, "Get out here!" He jerked his thumb over his shoulder and was running back through the house to the door. Weaving through the house full of neighbors already starting to clean up the mess, I followed him out the door. As

Gooodbye to the Reflection

I feel it coming before it takes me over. Cursing myself, I begin a frantic search. My fingers push around the contents of my crowded purse. Keys. Cell phone. Lip gloss. Gum. Wallet. Receipts. And finally, I feel the cylinder object brush my hand. I snatch it from my bag. All I can hear in my ears, is my heartbeat, hammering away in my chest like punches from within. My breaths are coming in short gasps and stars begin to edge their way into my peripheral vision. I’m terrified. Gripping the edge of the table I’m leaning on, I just know I’m going to suffocate. My throat has already started closing up. I try to swallow, but I have no control. My hands are trembling as I pop the cap off the bottle and shake from it, a tiny green pill. I curse myself again. Weak. I tell myself. I’m weak. I throw my head back as I let the pill slide its way down my tongue, leaving a bitter trail behind it. Quickly, I chug down some lukewarm water. My breathing has not leveled out. I grab m